In place of having Problem of the Week some weeks, we will be doing Current Events. For this assignment, you will pick out a current news article from a newspaper, magazine, or reputable online source. If you don't know what a reputable online source is come see me and I will tell you. Using this article you will create a two to four minute oral presentation, as well as a brief written summery. Your summery should be about the following length. Third Grade: A few sentences to a paragraph. Fifth Grade: Paragraph to half a page. Seventh Grade: Half a page to a full page. This can be typed. I would prefer this to be typed. At some point it may become mandatory that you type this.
These current event reports will be introduced on Monday. They will be due on Thursday. You can pick any sort of event, from world news to local events. Your written and oral reports should include the following elements.
- Title of article
- Location of event. Be able to locate on map.
- What happened? What is the article about?
Fifth and Seventh
- Why is this article important? Why did the news agency choose to run this article?
- Does this event affect us here in Salmon Creek? Could it? How?
- Is there a bias? Does the person writing the article have a point of view or an opinion?
- What more do you want to know?
- If you had written this article what would you have changed?